Saturday, 25 April 2015

Have you registered your music?

No Comments

This is an overview of how to register your music! MIO thought it is vital to give you guidelines on how artists can own their music legally since there are stories of individuals who created music and got ripped off.

The first thing that you need to do as soon as you get done with the tracks is to register them with relevant organisations like South African Record Rights Association Limited (SARRAL), South African Music Rights Organisation (SAMRO) and  The National Organisation for Reproduction Rights in Music (NORM).

Lwuandle Gxaka, who works at the SARRAL Membership Department, reasoned that as long as you have composed any form of music you need to register it for copyright and to be able to receive royalties. “When someone registers his/her work with us, all that needed is an identity document and a copy of the composed music. The copy of your music can be either in compact disc format or cassette.”

By registering your music with SARRAL, the organisation says that you will be legally in control of your work. “As soon as an artist registers their work with us, we will give that person a five year contract which is an agreement stipulating that SARRAL will be looking after your music”.

SARRAL does not only administer the mechanical reproduction rights in musical works locally. There are other organisations beyond our borders that work hand in hand with SARRAL looking after your music internationally.

Lastly, Gxaka said that for those who would like to register their music, they need to make sure that they submit their music with both SARRAL which administers the mechanical reproduction rights in musical works and SAMRO which is the main body in southern Africa representing music performing rights.

If you need more insight into registering your music with SARRAL you can call them on 011 339 1333 or visit their website.

What do SAMRO and its mandate of collecting royalties on the behalf of artists say? SAMRO Senior Liaising Officer, Victor Mampane said SAMRO collects license fees for your music.

Mampane said registering your music must be the first step that one takes after finishing every single song or album.

Registering your music with SAMRO means the organisation will collect your performing royalties on your behalf. “If you do not register your music with us, the chances of getting your performing royalties are not guaranteed.” If you had only managed to register your song a year after it has received airplay, SAMRO might be unable to accurately collect your royalties from the time your track received airplay until the point of registration as old play lists may have been deleted.

To register your music with SAMRO, the process is similar to SARRAL. If you would like to contact SAMRO, call 011 489 5085 or visit the website.

Register your songs as a sole owner and be the person to get the benefits associated with your work.

Author: phathu