Reply to this topicStart new topic
Ebu R128 Loudness Standard Vs Sa "standards"
davidt
post Nov 24 2011, 01:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3543

Hi peeps,

At the recent Great African Tour, Hugh Robjohns gave some insights into EBU R128 and seemed to incline that it may become the standard for loudness & max level measurement .

I'm aware that SuperSport Media Solutions is investigating EBU R128.

With not much clarity on local standards and specs for radio I was wondering what your thoughts are on this.

Anyone know what eTV require?

Any radio stations specs and stories?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ColinS
post Dec 2 2011, 12:29 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3036

Hi David,

Thanks for posting this info - also nice to see a bit of action in this very quiet place!

I googled EBU R128 and the whole topic is very interesting indeed. The loudness debate has been raging or bubbling over for years and it would be nice to finally see some consensus about it.

Please update us if you hear any local news....I certainly haven't.

Regards
Colin

+Quote Post
AnalogLearner
post Dec 8 2011, 08:30 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 21912

Hi David and Colin,

I hope something will happen but since we sent out the mail on plug ins for this and the tour we did with Sound on Sound Ive seen more interest so I think it may come about. I did however visit a few studios this week where the comments I got was who cares? and will SABC and others really conform?

My side of this is SABC and most broadcasters follow BBC and other euro broadcasters, so I do believe it will come about. Whether we'll see a change in the lower end I dont know. Maybe we should work towards doing a workshop on it...? Its a shame Hugh isnt around for it this time and we had so few people in Johannesburg

+Quote Post
Mo Facta
post Jan 22 2012, 11:34 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 37102

I have written here before on my distaste and anger at the fact that, as a viewer, I constantly have to reach for the remote control to adjust the volume from program to program.

Quite frankly, audio-for-TV in this country is a free-for-all disgrace. It irritates me that [mostly local] adverts are AT LEAST 6dB louder than the normal program material and often blow my head off or wake my daughter up when there's an ad break. I pine for the day that I don't have to deal with that and can leave the volume control at one setting and forget about it. I have even considered putting a brick wall limiter on the output of my decoder just to keep those louder programs from getting out of control. I, for one, am not impressed by louder commercials or feel the need to buy products based on how loud their ad is. In fact, it makes me want to boycott whatever they're peddling or simply change the channel, which I often do.

Personally, in the work that I've done at certain production houses, there has never been any standard followed. Basically, in the case of a promo final mix, I have often been instructed to get the dialog as loud as possible without it clipping and that's about it. That's just the way it's been done and to not follow along is deemed weird.

Anyway, soap box aside, for starters I really think this all can be helped if the back end of TV processing implements some sort of RMS detection and AGC to automatically attenuate louder program material to a standard. This, however, is only a temporary solution until engineers start following these standards that were thought up to prevent what is happening now.

Cheers smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 11:44 AM

0.526s - 263pq + 17rq
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here